To submit an event to the Green Omaha Coalition Calendar,
please email email@example.com.
Creating 2018 Sarpy County Earth Day
WHEN: Sunday, January 21st from 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
WHERE: Nebraska Medicine Bellevue, Lower Level,
Conference Room A (Hwy. 370 & S 25th St.)
Join Green Bellevue in planning Sarpy County’s 9th annual Earth Day celebration, scheduled for April 29, 2018! Come see a visual recap of last year’s Earth Day events and hear about plans for this year’s celebration. The Earth Day Planning Committee has completed some early groundwork and are ready to meet with the public for a facilitated planning session, including breakout groups. Earth Day volunteers, exhibitors, sponsors and attendees are all welcome!
Rain & Bioretention Garden Workshop
WHEN: Monday, January 22nd from 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
WHERE: Hotel RL by Red Lion Omaha (3321 S 72nd St.)
Landscapes today are designed to intentionally “do more” than just be beautiful. In the case of rain gardens, they help slow and soak in rainfall to protect and conserve water. Rain gardens attract pollinators and add biodiversity to landscapes.
Hear from Kelly Feehan, Steve Rodie, Tom Franti, & Andy Szatko to learn about:
- Stormwater runoff and the role of green infrastructure
- Debunking myths associated with bioretention/rain gardens
- In-depth information on rain garden design and step-by-step installation
- Effective plant selection and functions of plants in rain gardens
- Maintaining a landscape with bioretention features
- Case studies and lessons learned from bioretention/rain gardens installed in Nebraska.
Attendees will receive a copy of the manual, “Biorentention Gardens – A Manual for Contractors in the Omaha Region to Design and Install Bioretention Gardens.”
Lunch & Learn: Flood Mitigation Planning
WHEN: Tuesday, January 23rd from 12:00 – 1:30 p.m.
WHERE: DLR Group (6457 Frances St.)
Start the New Year off right, with a USGBC Green Building continuing education lunch and learn. This month you’ll be hearing about the flood mitigation planning that the Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District has been working toward. The Omaha Area has long been prone to disastrous flooding. An important effort is underway to reduce the risk of flooding and to prevent the considerable loss that can occur during flooding events. Join in to learn more!
The climate is changing now! We should too. Citizens’ Climate Lobby is working towards legislation that would:
- Place a fee on fossil fuels at the source: well, mine or port of entry.
- Distribute the net revenues to U.S. households to offset higher energy costs.
- Include a border tariff adjustment to discourage businesses from relocating where they can emit more CO2. This will also encourage other nations to adopt equivalent carbon pricing.
Join in for a 1-hour informational conference call on Wednesdays at 7:00pm.
Register for the call at: www.CitizensClimateLobby.org
Conference Number: 1-866-642-1665
Join Citizens’ Climate Lobby in Omaha on the second Saturday of every month at 11:45am at Augustana Lutheran Church, 38th & Lafayette Ave.
Are you interested in creating a healthier Sarpy County?
Join the Tobacco Free Sarpy Coalition for its monthly meeting on
the 4th Thursday of the month from 11:30am to 12:30pm.
Meetings are held at CHI Midlands (1111 S. 84th St, Papillion, NE 6804) in the Smith Suite.
Lunch will be provided, please email Becky at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
Please feel free to bring a friend, we value your input!
Green Home Tour & Reel to Real Promo Area
Join our email list to find out about local green news and events.